Monday, February 20, 2012

Two More Cards

I thought I would share two other cards I have made this February.

First is a Valentine's Days card I made for my Dad and Stepmom. They have a really beautiful koi pond so when I saw the koi fish on the Cricut Art Nouveau cartridge I thought it would be perfect.  I made two kissing koi on the cover.  I think it came out pretty cute and I like how the patterned paper made the fish look. I used the Cricut Craft Room to weld the shadow layer and lay out the card. (Full product list at end)

The card base id from 3 Birds Life's a Party cartridge and the fish and background shape are from Art Nouveau. I added some ruffled hart shapes from Victorian Romance.  I used different patterned papers and made the fish colors reverse to compliment each other.  I added some glitter on the fins to give it that shiny wet look. I also added some liquid pearls and iridescent glitter to the hearts.
I repeated the background shape from Art Nouveau inside and added hearts from Plantian Schoolbook.  I hand wrote my message and added a couple more glitter hearts.  I put liquid pearls in bisque around as a border.

The second card is a birthday card for my Dad.  I always find it hard to design a card for a guy.  So much of the art and decorations I find lean toward the girly or are a steam punk theme (which doesnt suit my dad.)  So I searched through all the Cricut options I have and decided I really liked the idea of the argyle pattern on the Wild Card cartridge.  I decided to add an owl from Create a Critter on top of the pattern. I thought it was cute and worked for a dad card.

The background is cut on the Cricut from the Wild Card cartridge.  It is two layers with diamonds cut out over the base card, but creates a cool effect. I used some pattern papers for the owl to make it a bit quirky and less plain. "DAD" is in a font off Opposites Attract. For some reason the Cricut wouldn't cut through the hole in the "A" properly (the glitter paper from Michael's was super thick) so I put a heart "scrap" on top of it.  I didn't really add much extra decorations, just black marker on some of the edges.
I used the diamonds that were cut out of the argyle pattern on front to make a pattern inside.  I added liquid pearls in bronze where the diamonds met and on the top/bottom tips. The happy birthday is from the Life's a Party Cartridge.

So I am pretty happy with the cards.  They aren't overly bling-y, but I think they look nice and my Dad and Stepmom will enjoy them. I hope you do too.

Products:
Koi Valentine:
  • Cricut Cartridges: Art Nouveau, Life's a Party, Plantain Schoolbook and Opposites Attract.
  • Paper: Michael's Cardstock, Teresa Collins-Fabrications,DCWV-Tradewinds, Recollections-Animal Kingdom
  • Paint/Inks: Liquid Pearl-Bisque, Studio Glitter (from the dollar bin at Mike's)
Birthday Card:
  • Cricut Cartridges: 3 Birds, Life's a Party, Create a Critter
  • Paper Mike's Cardstock, Kaiser Craft-Chanteuse, DCWV-Tradewinds, Recollections-Animal Kingdom, Glitter Cardstock from Mike's and the star paper is from Joanne's I don't know the brand.
  • Paint/Inks: Liquid Pearla- Bisque & Bronze.

No comments:

Post a Comment