Thursday, June 20, 2013

Playing and Learning with Copics and LaLa Land Crafts Images

Lately I have been enjoying using my Copics to color some of my La La Land Crafts (digi) stamps.

 I print out my 'digis' on my HP printer in black ink only.  I have been testing different papers and so far I like the Crafter's Companion Ultra Smooth Premium White cardstock and Bazzil Card Shoppe in Marshmallow.  I usually let the print outs dry overnight and sometimes also heat set the prints using my heat tool as if i was embossing the images.  This helps to avoid the black ink from the printer smearing and ruining the image or the tips of the Copics.  (If you use regular stamps I recommend Memento ink. Don't use StazOn because it can ruin the marker tips,)

Two of the projects I worked on were for La La Land Crafts' Facebook group's "Red White & Blue /. Fourth of July" contest.  The first card uses the hero stamps - "Star Boy Luca" and "Super Cupcake Marci."  I printed them both out and cut them off page loosely so i could have a smaller piece of paper I could move to different angles while I colored.
 
I started with the Marci image.  For her skin I used E000, E00, E21 and E11 with R20 as blush. (I will post a tutorial with each stage pictured in future--promise!) I continued to do the rest of her skin tones in the smaller areas.  I then did her bright red hair.  I color hair from the darkest (shadow) area to the lightest (highlight) area. So, for Marci's hair I began with R37 at the roots, tips and also where the hair curves in near her ears.  Working toward the highlight, I blended to R35, then R22 and R20 (highlight color)  I went over this a second time adding some R39 to the darkest areas. I colored in Luca's hair blue. (B37, B34, B24 & B21.)  Since Luca's hair is straight, I work from the roots (dark) and the tips (dark) with a highlight in upper to middle area.  I will some times use the lightest pen to draw a curved line where the approximate location of the  highlight should be.
I used R24 as the main color for the red clothing adding some R29 as shadows and R22 as highlights. My shading group for the blue clothes were B00, B02, B05 and if needed B06.  I thought this was a nice bright and fun blue for a super hero.  I then shaded the "white" areas (his shirt, her belt & gloves) with N0 & N2.  I started with N2 in darker area like edges of belt and blended out with the N0.  I then added a few extra colors, some pink and yellow for Marci's cupcake emblem, yellow on Luca;s safety pin and belt and red and blue for his star symbol.  I also added some glitter to the cupcake and star (its hard to see in photo.)
While the glitter was drying I built my card.  I decided to use a neutral base of a beige paper with stars over that I layered a red and white stipe paper and a bright blue with multicolor polka dots.  I then added red white and blue ribbon and my sentiment, "You are my hero."  I slid a circle with a star on it behind the ribbon.  But it turns out I really didn't like the circle. (lol)  So covered that with flowers and buttons in the red white and blue color theme.  And I liked that a bit better. Which version do you like?

 I also did a second card with the Luka stamp "Best Friends."  It is a really cute stamp of Luka with his dog.  I used the E000, E00, E21 and E11 combo for the skin again.  I also used the same R29, R24 and R22 combo for his red hoodie.  For his hair I used (from dark to light) E29, E27, E25 & E23.  On his puppy I used E87, E84 & E81 for the main fur color.  I added some E39 & E37 for darker spots and some Y32 to the yellowish spots.  For his jeans I used B97, B95, B93. These are a very grey blue and make awesome jeans.
I went pretty simple for background.  I used Authentique's Genuine paper for the jeans with tag on top of red & white polka dots.  I then stamped my sentiment and added the 4 brads and was done.  I really like this card I think its simple straightforward and cute with out being girly.

But speaking of girly...the last La La Land crafts and Copic Marker card I worked on this week was a thank-you card for a special friend.
 I used the Dress Up Marci stamp.  It is so cute with the over sized pumps and pearl necklace. For the darker skin tones I generally refer to the tutorial on La-La Land Crafts. (here) The colors they use are E11, E13 & E18.  For the hair I used C7, C5, C3 & C1.  With hair this curly I just try and decide where I think the darkest part of the curl is and work around it in the light to dark shades.  I decided the hat and shoes would be cute in purples. I used V12, V15 & v17 here.  I tried to keep the edge of brim the highlighted area on the hat. 
I did the dress in the same bright blues I had used on the super heroes. B00. B02 & B05.  The ribbon on waist and sleeves matches the hat coloring.  I also colored the flower in pinks. (R81, R83, R85)  On the necklace I added platinum colored Stickles. To complete the card I added some paper flowers and a doily from the Martha Stewart punch on a pre glittered gold card.

I thought Marcie looked sweet and liked how the colors looked together.  What do you think?  Do you have a favorite skin tone blending set for Copics or Spectrum?  I would love to know what you use!

No comments:

Post a Comment