Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Wine Bottle Gift Box Construction Tutorial



This tutorial will show you how I constructed the wine bottle gift box. This tutorial will cover how to make the chipboard box, but not how to decorate it. (To learn how I decorated it in Artisan paper, come join me at Custom Impressions. More info here.)

You will need:
2 - 12x12 pieces of medium weight chipboard. (I used black)
1 - 12x12 good quality cardstock to match your chipboard
Double sided tape (like scor or redline tape)
A ruler
A trimmer that will cut chip board
A bone folder or other scoring tool
Scissors that will cut chipboard
a pen or pencil



Cut your chipboard  into:
1 - 4" x 4" square
4 - 4" x 8" pieces
4 - 4" x 6" pieces
and 4 - 3 7/8" x 3" pieces.


Cut your card stock to:
4 - 1 1/2" x 8" pieces
4 - 1 1/2" x 4" pieces 
and 8 - 1 1/2" x 3" pieces.
Score all your strips in half (3/4")


And add double sided tape to both sides. (I used 1/2")
One tip I learned from Kathy Orta is to mitre the ends of your strips.


 Measure off an inch on the 3" side of the 3 7/8" x 3" piece. Adee tape to the 1" portion.


Connect the 3 7/8"" x 3" pieces to the 4" x  9" pieces. centering it so there is small over hang (1/16") on either side. Do this for all four and set aside. (These are the sides of the box.)


ON the 4" x 4" square place one of the 1 1/2" x 4" strips on each edge .


Add the extended 4" x 8" pieces to the 4" x 4". Attach on the 4" side with the 3 7/8" x 3" piece that was attached on the top "inside." Leave a small gap between the two pieces to allow the 4" x  8" piece to be held at a right angle.


When all four sides are attached it should look like above


Attach two of the 1 1/2" x 8" strips to one of the box sides.
(DO NOTnot place strip over the 3 7/8" x 3" attached piece.)

  

Attach the sides of the boxes to each other at right angles using the strips. When you are done you will have the base of the box with a lip at the top. I left the small pieces unattached so they can more easily fit inside the lid portion.


For the lid we need to cut a triangle at the top of the 4" x 6" pieces. Start by making a line at the halfway point (3") of the 6" side. Use your ruler and score tool to score into the chipboard here. it will hopefully make an nice indentation.  Also mark the middle (2") of one end of the 4" side. (I used white pen so you can clearly see the marks. You should probably use pencil so marks can be erased or are less noticeable.) I also drew a line from the middle (2") of the piece to the 3" midway line to form the triangle


Using my heavy duty scissors I cut along the line to make a triangle at the top of the 4" x 6" piece.  Using the edge of a table or other straight surface, gently fold the top of the triangle along the score line. It should fold approximately 45 degrees.


I then attached four of the 1  1/2" x 3" strips to the straight sides of the 4" x 6" pieces.


Attach the four lid pieces together side by side. Again, leave a small space so they can be held at right angles to each other.


When you attach the fourth strip it should connect the first and last lid pieces to make a "box" with all the triangles on the top folding towards each other.


With the remaining 1 1/2" x 3" pieces, Attach the triangles at to to form the pyramid at top. I found the best way was to attach two opposite sides then to attach the middle ones.


When all four triangles are attached your lid should look like this.


Now you can put your lid on. You may have to turn it to find best angle for a good fit. 

Below are some pictures of a couple different ways I have decorated the box. One is with Graphic 45 Le Cirque and the other is Graphic 45 Artisan Style.
 
 



3 comments:

  1. I have admired this box since I first saw it. Thank you for the detailed instructions; I am looking forward to creating my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great tutorial. I have tryed to make my own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed the tutorial! I would love to see your wine box when it is finished

      Delete