Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!!!! with a card

Today is Father's Day and I thought I would share the card I made my Dad.  As I have said in previous posts, I find making a masculine card a bit harder that one for a girl.  But I do like how this card came out.  I used my Cricut and my new favorite paper stack, K & Co.'s Designer paper.

I started with the Star Card from the Wild Card Cricut Cartridge. I used a rectangle from Craft Room Basics to weld another panel at the bottom of the card that would flip down when the star was opened. I think if you look at the pictures you will see what I mean.  I used the purple polka dot paper for the card base and added the star outline in a teal blue plain card stock.  I then added the "Dear Old Dad" sentiment from the holiday Craft Room digital cartridge Father's Day-Dear Old Dad. I only used the text portion and not the shadow or stars.  I cut it out in a line green and a pattern paper and layered just the "old" portion over the green in the pattern. (I will look up the name of the paper and list at bottom.) I then used my liquid pearls in a teal color to outline the star on top of the border and my Martha Stewart glitter pen in green to highlight the text.


On the panel behind the star I added a background from the Paper Lace cartridge on the lace1 button of "Flower 2"; I re-sized it a little to make sure it fit on the added panel.  I then traced over the swirly bits with a glitter liner in iridescent. (I used the striped white and grey Designer paper for the lace.) On the back of the star I added a couple of different sizes of stars in the green and teal card stock . I used the star from the cards border and deleted one of the cuts in the hide contour feature. I decorated the teal star with an outline of holographic glitter liner and the green one with sunny yellow perfect pearls.


On the inside of the card I added the Happy Father's Day text from the digital Craft Room download " Father;s Day-Dear Old Dad."  This time I did add the shadow and the diamond/star layers. I used the same teal/bright green color combination.  I put a heavy layer of the iridescent glitter on the diamond shapes to really make them sparkle.  I also cut out 2 slightly larger sets of the diamonds and added them in the corners.I put in one more of the stars- a border stlye one to the fold in the card. And I also added a shadow panel of the lace I used on middle of card to the inside of the added panel to have somewhere to write a note to my dad.I decorated this with the teal Liquid Pearls.


Ok so by now you have probably noticed the weird spay marks in the corners.  I kinda screwed up when i was finishing up the card. I had gone out shopping and found a color of Tattered Angel's Glimmer Mist in a limited edition Halloween color I had been dying to try. Its called Afraid of the Dark and its like a purpley color with green glitter. And I thought it would match the card well but I was too excited and didn't test it so i sprayed too much and it came out clumpy looking and warped the paper. If I had taken my time and done it right it would have looked really cool, but I didn't and I am unhappy with how it came out. Oh well, the card as a whole looks cute and I was happy with it. 

So there it is my Dad's card.. I sent him a book and some sugar free chocolate too.  What did you do for Father's Day? Did you make a card or gift, I would love to see your projects too.

XXOO
L

Product List:
  • Cricut Cartridges: Craft Room Basics, Craft Room Father's Day-Dear Old Dad, Wild Card and Paper lace
  • Paper: K and Company-Primary Designer Paper, sei-Field Notes and Mike's card stock
  • Paints/Inks: Ranger Liquid Pearls-Peacock, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist-Afraid of the Dark, Viva Glitter Liner-Iridescent and Viva Pearl Pen - Sunny Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment